Herb and garlic smashed potatoes
Mashed potatoes with a difference – garlic and herbs add a zing to this yummy Whole30 side dish!
Ever wonder how to make side dishes more interesting? Or how to just have potatoes in a different way? Well, have I got the recipe for you! These herb and garlic smashed potatoes are not like any tame mashed potatoes you may have had before, made with just butter and milk (oh yeah, no dairy in these either, so they’re totally Whole30 compliant!).
First of all, leave the skins on the potatoes. That’s right, wash the potatoes first, and then just chop them up. No peeling needed. Then, add a couple of garlic cloves to the mix, just roughly chopped. Steam the potatoes (or boil, depending on your preference), and mash them all up with some ghee and unsweetened almond milk. Don’t mash them too much, you want the texture to remain with all the goodness in the potato skins.
I love this recipe because I hate (a) peeling potatoes and (b) mincing garlic. And the taste just makes every other food on the plate go ‘wow’! Try it and let me know what you think!
- 3 medium sized white potatoes (approx 400g)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs ghee
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Salt to taste
- Wash the potatoes to remove any dirt from the skin and chop into cubes, leaving the skin on.
- Peel and chop the garlic cloves.
- Steam the potatoes and the garlic together until the potatoes are tender (approx 20 mins).
- Place the potato mixture in a medium bowl with ghee, almond milk and salt and lightly mash together, while keeping most of the skins in tact.
- Top with parsley for decoration when serving.