Balsamic glazed beef roast
A tender roast beef, smothered with a yummy balsamic glaze, makes this the highlight of any meal
It’s time for the Recipe Swap club recipe again. This month I was assigned Sew You Think You Can Cook and you should check out just how many recipes I had to go through before I settled on this one to make! Lauren’s blog has so many recipes, as well as crafty stuff for her boys and it was so much fun looking through her website. I highly recommend you check it out! Do it. Now. And then come back here!
Anyway, back to the recipe at hand. You can find the original recipe here. As has been my habit for all recipe swaps so far, I chose a savory one. And it just so happened that I had a beef roast in the freezer, waiting for a time to cook it. And we had plans for some friends to come around for dinner on Saturday night. Which suited this recipe fine, as it’s done in the slow cooker. So I got all the ingredients, well, all my substitutions for my special stomach issues, and planned to make it for them. And then they had to postpone the meal at our place (was it something I said??). But I told my family that we were going to have this beef roast anyway, because it sounded so yummy.
I have to tell you, the balsamic glaze is just amazing. It really lifts the roast beef from average to totally ‘zing-worthy’. Also, I’m not sure whether it’s something with our slow cooker, but every time I make a slow cooked beef roast, they turn out relatively dry, so this glaze and gravy really saved the day. Does anyone have any tips for slow cooked beef? Does it need to be wrapped or coated with something? I look forward to hearing from you.
But I digress. Again. Basically, make this roast beef, and ESPECIALLY the glaze/gravy and enjoy!
- 3-4 lb beef chuck roast
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup + 3 tbs balsamic vinegar, divided
- 3 tbs coconut aminos, divided
- 2 tbs grape or apple juice
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbs tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- Combine the beef broth, 1/3C balsamic vinegar, 2 tbs coconut aminos, juice, red pepper flakes, garlic and pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour over the roast placed in a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker, cover with tin foil to keep warm.
- Strain 1 1/2C of liquid from the slow cooker. Over medium heat, combine this liquid with the remaining balsamic vinegar, coconut aminos and coconut sugar. Bring to a boil and allow to reduce.
- Create a slurry with the tapioca starch and 2 tbs water. Pour into the glaze and stir to thicken. Continue to reduce to desired thickness.
- Shred or slice the beef and top with the balsamic glaze.