Spinach and orange salad
A refreshing salad with summer flavors of spinach, oranges and nuts.
This is Grant’s all-time favorite salad (except for the Spanish potato salad and the spinach peach salad) – but every time I make this for him, he tells me it’s his favorite. Every time we get asked to bring a salad to a potluck, he suggests this. Why? Because this salad is so full of flavor and textures.
Think about it – spinach … good for you and Popeye, oranges … nice and refreshing, nuts … gives that crunch and cream cheese … if you can tolerate dairy, this lifts the salad to the next level. The dressing is really simple – the recipe calls for freshly squeezed orange juice, but I often just use the bottled variety. Try not to drench the salad in too much dressing – keep the spinach crispy just to get all those complementary textures going together in your mouth at once!
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- juice of one orange
- 100g baby spinach
- 2 oranges, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup flat leave parsley
- 125g block cream cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Place all dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well.
- Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl and mix either with hands or spoons.
- Just before serving, drizzle dressing through salad and mix.
- The ingredient list gives approximate proportions, but you can adjust as you see fit. If you don't have fresh parsley, just add more spinach, or other green leafy vegetable.