Satay chicken potato pizza
A potato pizza crust topped with peanut satay chicken, spinach and peppers – what could be better for pizza nights?
I have to give Grant full credit for this recipe – it was his idea. It came about because I received a goodie pack of products from Crazy Richards Peanut Butter and I wanted to use their awesome products in something slightly different than my normal chocolate and peanut butter combinations. Not that chocolate and peanut butter isn’t a good combination (it rocks!) but I wanted to come up with something unusual.
My family loves peanut satay chicken (using this recipe). So much. And we have recently discovered how to make really yummy potato pancakes (recipe here). So Grant suggested we combine the two. Grant helped me with the actual implementation of this recipe – he is the guru of potato pancakes after all! But you can also feel free to use just the topping on a regular pizza crust – it works just as well, it’s just not that different and unique as this recipe is.
So give this a go – you’ll be glad you did!
- 3 medium potatoes (white or sweet)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs potato flour/starch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (13.5 oz/400mL)
- 2 tbs curry powder
- 2 tbs ginger powder
- 3/4 cups crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tbs raw sugar
- 3 tbs tamari sauce
- 1 chicken breast (200g)
- 1 roasted red pepper
- 1/2 cup spinach, coarsely chopped
- Grate the potatoes and squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible.
- In a large bowl, beat together egg, potato flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in potatoes and chopped onion. The mixture will appear relatively dry, but ensure it is as mixed as possible.
- Heat oil of choice (I used peanut oil) in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Spread the entire mixture across the skillet and allow the bottom to cook. Flip carefully to cook the other side. Set aside until ready to assemble.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl until well mixed.
- Set aside 1/4 cup for use on the base.
- Place the chicken in a saucepan of boiling water and poach until cooked through.
- Set aside to cool and shred into bite-sized pieces.
- Place in the remaining sauce mixture and stir until well coated.
- Assemble the pizza by spreading the reserved sauce on the potato base, then placing chicken, pepper and spinach in top.
- Bake in a pre-heated 375F oven for 10 minutes.