Healthy gluten-free donuts
A cake-type donut recipe, using only healthy ingredients for a gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free yummy snack.
As most of you who know my family well are aware, Grant and the kids LOVE donuts. Me, well, I can take or leave them. But one day Grant and Abby came home after shopping with a baking tray for donuts, so obviously I needed to find a gluten-free baked donut recipe. This one works well – it produced ‘cake’ donuts, which I actually prefer to any other type, but still not really the normal donut taste and texture that ‘normal’ people get to eat. But, give them a go and let me know what you think!
I made up some sort of glaze for these, with cocoa powder, maple syrup and coconut cream, added some sprinkles and shredded coconut, and, well, when I brought them to a ladies night recently, everyone loved them!
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g maple syrup
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Mash bananas until smooth in a food processor and add almond milk, vanilla and maple syrup. Blend until very smooth.
- Combine all other ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add dry to wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spray a donut pan with non-stick spray and fill 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Allow to sit in pan for 5 minutes before cooling on a cooling rack.
- Use any sort of frosting or glaze you wish, once fully cooled.