Dairy-free cookies & cream cheesecake
A gluten and dairy-free cheesecake that almost tastes like the real thing
For those of you who have been following my journey for a while, you will remember that my family absolutely loves our cookies and cream cheesecake slice (recipe here). But, the original recipe calls for Oreos and cream cheese, along with a whole host of other dairy and glutenous ingredients. So I’ve had to adapt it quite a bit, but the end result is definitely worth it. I’m not sure you can really call this a recipe (although I have seen some recipes posted on the internet where there has only been one or two ingredients …) but I wanted to share the result of my hard labor with you all!
In the US, there are so many flavors of instant pudding mix – for those of you in the rest of the world, I’m not sure how easy it will be for you to get a cheesecake flavored instant pudding mix, but let me know how you go!
- 1 cup (250g) peanut butter, crunchy or creamy
- 1/2 cup (113g) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (40g) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tins coconut cream
- 2 packets instant cheesecake-flavored pudding mix
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Mix all ingredients together. This will be a very stiff dough, but be patient and it will all come together.
- Scoop tablespoon-fuls of dough onto the parchment paper. This will yield approximately 16-20 cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes and allow to cool slightly.
- Place approximately 250g cookies into a ziploc bag and crush until crumbs have formed. If needed, add a little melted margarine (butter if you don't need to be dairy-free) to moisten.
- Press into a prepared 8 x 8" tin lined with either parchment paper or plastic wrap until a smooth, thin layer is formed. Chill while making the filling.
- Combine the coconut cream and the pudding mix with a hand beater until all mixed.
- Crush some of the remaining cookies from the crust and fold into cheesecake mixture.
- Pour on top of the crust and decorate as desired.
- Chill for 2-3 hours prior to serving.