Sally’s ultimate peanut butter chocolate cookies
A moist and chewy cookie, this really is the ultimate in chocolate and peanut butter – and no one would know it’s gluten and dairy free!
In honour of National Peanut Butter Cookie day (June 12), I wanted to make some special peanut butter cookies, so where did I turn, but to Sally’s Baking Addiction website. Everything I have made from this website has turned out really well. Especially her cookie recipes. And you know how much I love cookies (and the dough!). Really easy to make, really simple ingredients that you should have lying around your kitchen. The cookie itself doesn’t have an overpowering peanut butter flavour, it’s more chocolate than peanut butter. Which is why there is a peanut butter swirl … can’t have one without the other!!
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (64g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60g) peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs (30mL) milk
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
- For the drizzle: 1/3 cup (85g) peanut butter
- Toss the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Beat the butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Switch the mixer to medium speed and beat in the brown sugar, granulated sugar and peanut butter until combined.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Turn the mixer off and pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Turn the mixer on low and slowly beat until a soft dough is formed.
- Beat in the milk on medium speed.
- Once mixed, beat in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed. The dough will be very thick and sticky.
- Cover the dough tightly with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line two large baking sheets with baking paper and set aside.
- Drop rounded balls of dough, approximately 50g each, onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake each batch for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. The cookies will not have spread much, so gently press down on them with the back of the fork or spoon. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- As the cookies are cooling, melt the peanut butter. Drizzle over warm or cool cookies. Allow the peanut butter to set for about 10 minutes.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.