A moist and spicy gluten and dairy-free gingerbread muffin, guaranteed to please the whole family.
These gingerbread muffins are awesome! Everyone in my family has had to restrain themselves from eating more than one at a sitting. Mind you, they didn’t take more than 24 hours to be eaten by the 4 of us, so that tells you how good they are (and how much we need to go and exercise now!)
Really moist, probably due to the yogurt, milk and molasses content. I adapted this recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction, so feel free to add more or less spices as to whatever you prefer. But try them, and let me know how you go!
These also work well as baked donuts, if you happen to have a donut pan …
- 3 cups (375g) all purpose flour (substitute gluten-free if needed)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup (234g) molasses
- 1/2 cup (115g) butter (dairy-free if needed)
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup (185g) plain yogurt (dairy-free if needed)
- 1/4 cup (60mL) milk (dairy-free if needed)
- Preheat oven to 450F (225C). Spray 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick spray or line with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the molasses and butter until melted. Stir until thoroughly mixed together and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, egg, yogurt and milk. Pour into the butter & molasses mixture and whisk until everything is incorporated.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until 'just' combined. Do not overmix but be aware the batter will be very thick and lumpy.
- Fill the muffin tins to the very top and bake for 5 minutes at 450F. Keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the temperature down to 375F (190C) and continue to bake for 15 more minutes. Muffins are finished when a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- As the muffins cool, prepare the glaze with 1 cup icing sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla and enough milk to make the desired consistency. Either dip the muffins into the glaze, or drizzle on top.