Creamy bacon and broccoli fettucine
Creamy, bacon and broccoli pasta – can be made gluten and dairy free, and is always yummy
When Grant and I first got married, I could only cook a few things – my signature dish was a creamy tuna and pea mornay-type thing on rice. Grant HATES tuna. So when I got given a Women’s Weekly cookbook in the first year or so of our marriage, I scoured it for some easy recipes and came across this one. Every time I’ve made this pasta, it has tasted really good (except when in Chile, where we found it difficult to get a similar taste from the different ingredients – UHT cream, ham rather than bacon, etc). But this has now become my signature dish – when we have visitors, it is usually a choice between this or whatever else is the recipe of the month for us. Most of the time, this one wins hands down!
To make this gluten-free, just use gluten-free pasta.
To make this dairy-free, use coconut cream (stick a tin of coconut milk in the fridge overnight and scrape off the cream that forms), and nutritional yeast (approx 2 tbsp) instead of parmesan cheese.
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 4 rashers short-cut bacon (chopped)
- 250g broccoli (chopped)
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 300mL thickened cream (or coconut cream)
- 2 tbs parmesan cheese (or nutritional yeast)
- 250g fettucine pasta (gluten-free if needed)
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the packet.
- Saute the onions, garlic and bacon in a little olive oil until onion is tender and translucent.
- Add the broccoli and stock, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cream/coconut cream and parmesan cheese/nutritional yeast and heat until sauce is thickened.
- Mix into pasta prior to serving.