Worms in the mud
Sounds strange, but amazingly not too rich for a dessert, this worms in the mud recipe can be adapted in many ways!
We got this recipe from a Veggie Tales DVD (animated talking vegetables – Sunday morning values, Saturday morning fun). Very more-ish, but you need to get the right consistency for the chocolate pudding – something we haven’t quite achieved in Chile as yet, but the Cottees instant pudding in Australia worked well every time. In the US, try the Jello instant pudding mix, or Hersheys. And it doesn’t have to be chocolate pudding – we’ve done this with white chocolate, banana and cheesecake pudding mixes as the ‘mud’ – they are all equally as awesome!
For the Oreos, you will need about 375g of cookies, in Australia this is a ‘double’ packet, in Chile, it’s 3 single packets.
To make this gluten-free, try these combinations:
– The crust is chocolate peanut butter cookies (recipe here), or buy some gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies
– The chocolate pudding is a chocolate mousse recipe from scratch (recipe here)
– Be careful of the gummy worms you use – unbeknownst to me, a lot of these candies in Australia are made from wheat glucose syrup … and hence I can’t eat them. Make sure you read the backs of the packets BEFORE you buy them!!
- •1 packet Oreo cookies
- •70g butter (melted)
- •125g cream cheese
- •1 cup icing sugar
- •300ml cream (whipped), or one package of Cool Whip
- •1 packet gummy worms
- •1 packet instant chocolate pudding mix
- Make the chocolate pudding according to the directions on the packet and chill for at least an hour.
- Place the oreo cookies inside a plastic zip-loc bag and smash with a rolling pin until only crumbs remain. Mix 3/4 of the oreos with the melted butter and press into glass dish (8 x 8 in usually works well).
- Mix cream cheese and sugar together until creamy. Fold in the whipped cream and place on top of the oreo cookie crust.
- Add the chocolate pudding on top of the cream cheese, layer with the leftover smashed oreos and place gummy worms for decoration.
- Chill in fridge until ready to serve/eat.