Roast veggie and quinoa salad
Yummy roast vegetables tossed with the nutty quinoa flavor and texture – a great wholesome lunch idea!
A favorite lunch of mine – but the family aren’t so keen on it. It’s kind of an adaption of a salad I had once where there was a whole pile of roast veggies with couscous. Now that I know that couscous isn’t gluten-free, I changed it to quinoa and I use whatever vegetables I have on hand. I’ve also put in black beans, avocado and a myriad of other foods – what I’ve given you below is just some ideas to get you started. This can be eaten either hot or cold – but I usually have it cold.
Let me know what you think!
- 1 C dry quinoa
- 2 C water
- 300g sweet potato (about 1/2 - 1)
- 150g zucchini (about 1)
- 220g mushrooms
- 120g red pepper (about 1)
- 170g carrots (about 4)
- 1 tbs parsley leaves
- 1 tbs cilantro leaves
- 50g spinach
- Place quinoa and water into a medium-sized saucepan and bring to boil.
- Allow to simmer for 10-15 mins until all the water has been absorbed and remove from heat. Use a fork to fluff up the quinoa and set aside to cool.
- Chop all the veggies except for the spinach into relatively similar sized pieces and place on some parchment paper on a baking tray.
- Bake for 40-45 mins at 350F or until the veggies are tender.
- Chop the spinach and mix with the roasted veggies.
- Add the cooled quinoa and mix thoroughly.
- Serve either immediately or store in the refrigerator for a hearty salad whenever you wish.