Pumpkin bread stuffing
A savory pumpkin bread with some veggies and herbs makes a yummy side dish to any meat – especially turkey.
Ok, so this was one of those dishes that took over a year for us to understand the reason why it existed. Our first Thanksgiving in America last year we went to a church potluck lunch, and saw all these dishes of cornbread stuffing. And didn’t know what it was. Or why it was. So this year, I did a little research. And a little experimentation. And changed it to pumpkin bread. And now it’s a often requested side-dish with my family!
This recipe is based off my savory pumpkin muffin recipe (see here) which I think is pretty awesome and you probably wouldn’t even think it was gluten and dairy free. Then, I combine it with some onions and celery, some herbs and that’s about it. If you wish, I think it’s really yummy with cranberries actually in the stuffing, but since Abby doesn’t like cranberries – we had to make do with just having the cranberry jelly on the side.
You can either make the pumpkin muffins before time and then crumble them up with the other ingredients, or put them all together and bake in one yummy family of flavors. Enjoy!
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup + 5 Tbsp blanched almond flour
- 3 Tbsp coconut flour
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 1 tbs thyme
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tbs rosemary
- Saute the onion and celery until soft and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a muffin tin with liners or non-stick spray.
- Whisk together eggs, pumpkin, coconut oil and vinegar until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, baking soda and all the seasonings. Stir gently to mix.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the mix without overmixing, until a thick batter forms.
- Add the onion and celery but do not over-mix.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 mins.