Nigella’s chocolate chip bread pudding
A great way to use up stale (gluten-free) bread, with chocolate chips and a sweet custard filling, this dessert will warm you all the way through!
Another winning recipe from Nigella Lawson. A combination of bread (great for stale bread) and chocolate with a creamy, chocolate-y custard through it. Really yummy straight from the oven. Really yummy straight from the fridge …!
And you can use gluten-free bread, dairy-free chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, coconut cream, etc. The sky’s the limit. But just try it. Please!
- 250g stale bread, cut into 3cm cubes
- 100g chocolate chips
- 3 eggs
- 40g soft light brown sugar
- 125mL full-fat cream
- 500mL milk
- 4 tsp granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease an ovenproof dish lightly with butter.
- Tip in the stale bread crumbs. Toss in the chocolate chips to spread evenly among the bread cubes.
- Whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, cream and milk. Pour this mixture over the bread and press the cubes down to coat them in the liquid.
- Leave all this to soak for 20 mins, then sprinkle with the granulated sugar and put straight into the oven for 50-60 mins. The pudding is ready when the custard has set and has a light wobble.
- Let the dish stand for a while before serving - if you can!
- To make this gluten free - use gluten-free bread.
- To make this dairy-free - use coconut cream, dairy-free chocolate chips and full-fat coconut milk as substitutes.