Date Nut Bread
A moist, fruity gluten and dairy-free bread using dates, with nuts for some crunch, makes this the perfect snack!
Dates … for so many years I’ve been using just pitted dates that have been packaged in the grocery stores. Recently I found Medjool dates … and my world has changed forever. These dates are so much sweeter, much softer, so much more yummy! I’ve been using Medjool dates in my ‘healthy’ granola bars for a while now and have been loving them immensely! Try them and see for yourselves,
I also had some leftover pumpkin purée that I tried in place of the egg and it really gave the fall flavor that we love!
There was a National Date Nut Bread Day (September 8) and I really enjoyed looking for recipes to make something appropriate for it. This one was AWESOME!
- 1 C chopped Medjool dates
- 1 C sugar
- 2 tbs butter (or dairy-free substitute)
- 1 C boiling water
- 2 1/4 C flour (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 1 C chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée or 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Pour boiling water over the dates, sugar and butter and let cool.
- Mix flour, soda, cinnamon and baking powder.
- Stir into dates, add nuts and mix well.
- Stir in egg/pumpkin and blend thoroughly.
- Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for an hour.
- Leave to cool prior to slicing.