Crispy chicken tacos
Crispy chicken strips, with a sweet honey & lime marinade, topped with coleslaw on a tortilla wraps to make a different version of tacos. Yum!
When we watched the Lego movie the first time Henry got really excited about Taco Tuesday. So, when it was his birthday recently, which happened to fall on a Tuesday, he wanted tacos (naturally). But, to spice things up a little, we made some crispy chicken strips, with gluten-free breadcrumbs, and then added a honey-lime marinade. Grant and I added some coleslaw, the kids just had cheese and grated carrots on theirs, but it was definitely a winner in our house.
The proportions in the recipe aren’t exact, so feel free to play around with them, to whatever suits you! The ingredients in brackets are to assist if you’re trying to be Whole30 compliant. When I made these during my Whole30, I didn’t crumb the chicken – just fried in some coconut oil with lemon pepper seasoning, but I still used the yummy adapted marinade!
- 600g chicken breast strips
- gluten-free breadcrumbs
- gluten-free flour
- grated parmesan cheese (nutritional yeast)
- vegetable oil
- 3 tbs soy sauce (coconut aminos)
- 2 tbs honey (apple juice)
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbs chilli powder
- 2 tbs ground cilantro (coriander)
- 12 tortillas
- Set up three stations for the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs. Add the parmesan cheese (nutritional yeast) to the breadcrumbs. Lightly beat the eggs.
- Cut the chicken into strips.
- Dip individual chicken strips into the flour, then eggs, then breadcrumb/cheese mixture.
- Add oil to a frying pan and shallow fry chicken in several batches until cooked. Place on paper towel to drain any excess fat and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and mix well.
- Assemble the tortilla, chicken, marinade and any additional toppings as desired.