Creamy paprika chicken
A simple recipe that will cause your intended audience to love the creamy smoky paprika flavor on tender chicken pieces.
Chicken – how can anyone not like chicken? Well, this is an awesome easy-to-whip up chicken dish that can be modified and served with whatever veggies you have lying around. Originally the recipe called for cream cheese, but I substituted this with coconut cream and no one could really taste the difference. So, if you are not afflicted with being lactose intolerant, use 125g soft cream cheese in the sauce. If you are afflicted, use a can of coconut cream or full fat, that’s right, you have to use the full fat stuff, of coconut milk. Just be aware that it may not be as thick as you expect. You can try thickening it up with some corn-starch (which I did), but it is also quite nice on the runny side.
The last time I made this it was in a real hurry after we invited a couple around for lunch before realizing that what we had planned for lunch couldn’t extend for another 2 people. A quick trip to the store, mainly to buy chicken since ours was still in the freezer, and within 30 mins the dish was done. And yummy. Just ask our guests!
- 6 chicken fillets, either breast or thighs
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 2 tbs smoked paprika
- 1 tin coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbs dried parsley for garnish
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and brown the chicken pieces. Once browned, set these aside and make the sauce.
- Saute the onion and the garlic until they are soft and semi-translucent.
- Add the diced tomatoes and paprika and stir until well combined.
- Add the coconut cream/milk and allow to simmer/thicken for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the chicken back into the frying pan and cook until the chicken is done.
- Sprinkle parsley on top to garnish each serving.