Chocolate orange flourless cake
A flourless chocolate cake with so much flavor from oranges – fully gluten and dairy-free!
Back in Australia we had Jaffas – candy with a chocolate and orange flavor, that kids used to roll down the aisles when they went to the movies. Now I wasn’t ever overly fond of these, especially when there were other options like Snickers Bars, Cookies & Cream, etc. However, looking through recipes for flourless cakes, and this one came up. I’ve made it several times – with different varieties of orange, mandarin etc, and it tastes great every single time!
This is a really simple recipe – and you can’t really go wrong with it – boil some oranges for a while, put everything in a food processor and blend until smooth. Then pour into a cake pan and leave in oven until cooked. Easy peasy!
A word of caution – make sure you cook the oranges sufficiently – while a little bit of orange rind in a cake is totally acceptable, big chunks are not! Although, that might be due to my lack of food processing as well …!
The frosting is up to you – make either a buttercream frosting, or a simple dusting of powdered sugar, or anything else your heart desires!
- 2 small oranges (about 400g total)
- 200g almond meal
- 6 eggs
- 50g cocoa
- 250g granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Place oranges in saucepan, cover with water and simmer on a low heat for about 2 hours until soft. Allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 20cm springform pan with parchment paper.
- Place cooled whole oranges in food processor (including skin) and slightly blend.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until batter is smooth, but with some orange flecks still visible.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for 45 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- This recipe also can be made into cupcakes - one batch yields about 24 standard size cupcakes.