Chocolate chip cookie dough brownies
An awesome combination of chocolate chip cookie dough and brownies – all possible as gluten and dairy-free and still yummy!
This has to be one of our family all-time favorite desserts. Every time I consider making it, the kids jump up and down in anticipation. And it never lasts long! Be warned, it does make a very big pan-ful of sugary goodness, so I usually look for opportunities to share it with others … so we don’t end up eating it all!
I’ve made this full-gluten, full-dairy as well as gluten and dairy-free. No matter which way your stomach tells you, this is an amazingly addictive slice … trust me!
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped (dairy-free if needed)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (dairy-free if needed)
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (gluten-free if needed)
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (dairy-free if needed)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk (dairy-free if needed)
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour (gluten-free if needed)
- 1½ cups mini chocolate chips (dairy-free if needed)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9x13-inch pan with foil, with enough to hang over all four sides. Butter the foil.
- In a medium glass bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract, scraping the bowl as needed. Mix in the melted chocolate until combined.
- Reduce the speed to low, add the flour and mix just until combined (don't over-mix).
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 25 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer on medium speed to combine the butter and both sugars. Add the milk and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Reduce the speed to low and mix in the flour just until combined. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the cookie dough over the cooled brownies. Refrigerate until the dough is firm, about an hour.
- Use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter to cut the brownies.
- Store the brownies in an airtight container at cool room temperature or in the refrigerator.