Cashew chicken parmigiana
Cashew crusted chicken, with all the traditional parmigiana toppings, adapted to be Whole30 compliant
For many years, whenever we would go out for a meal with my father-in-law, he would order the same thing – chicken parmigiana. I mean, what’s there not to love? Crumbed chicken with a tomato-based sauce, ham and cheese on top? Kind of like a chicken pizza. I often would have this with him … until I couldn’t have commercially crumbed food any more due to the gluten content. And then the cheese issue. But I still loved the idea and the taste of chicken parmigiana. And so did the rest of my family.
So I got my thinking brain on. And came up with this recipe. Now, when I make this for the rest of the family, I used Swiss cheese, instead of the avocado on top, but if your family actually likes avocado (not like mine), feel free to use this on theirs as well. I’ve included the proportions for the toppings across all the chicken schnitzels, but feel free to adapt as needed!
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 cup cashew pieces
- 1 tbs poultry seasoning
- Almond milk for dredging
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 tbs basil
- 1 tbs oregano
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast
- 4 slices prosciutto
- Remove any fat or inner parts to form fillets.
- Pound the chicken into thin pieces (approximately 1 cm) and set aside.
- Using a food processor, combine the cashews and poultry seasoning and process until fine. Don't process for too long or cashew butter will form. Leave some chunks for texture. Place in a flat container for 'crumbing'.
- Pour the almond milk into a flat container.
- For each piece of chicken, place in the almond milk, then the cashews and then on a wire rack on top of a baking tray.
- Once each piece has been 'crumbed', place the baking tray in a pre-heated oven at 350F for 20 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients in a small mixing bowl until well combined.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- After 20 minutes of baking, take the chicken out of the oven.
- Spread the sauce on one side, place a slice of prosciutto on top, then the avocado topping.
- Return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve and eat immediately.