Blueberry muffins (vegan)
A moist and yummy blueberry muffin made of vegan, gluten and dairy-free ingredients.
Mmm, purple. That was a line from a Simpson’s episode that prompted Grant and myself to search throughout Toronto when we visited family there a number of years ago for a donut that we could poke our finger into and draw out a purple blob. i.e. blueberry filled donuts. We took the whole 2 weeks we were in Toronto looking for this elusive donut and found it … and it wasn’t really worth it.
How does this relate to this recipe? Not really, it was just the first thought I had when I looked at my photo of the muffins again. These muffins are so much nicer than that donut. They are moist, and sweet and yummy. These were adapted from a recipe on the So Delicious website (they are great for dairy-free milk and yogurt options – see website here). I took a batch of these to work and asked for opinions and whether I should add the recipe to the website. The answer was a resounding ‘yes’! The only comments I got was that they may have been more moist, so feel free to play around with the yogurt and milk quantities.
And did you know that there are so many health benefits of eating blueberries? Check out this article here for 20 science-based health benefits of our blue friends.
Anyway, give it a go and let me know what you think!
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup raw or coconut sugar
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 tbs dairy-free yogurt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400F and line muffin tray with muffin liners.
- Add all dry ingredients to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk the oil and yogurt together. Add the almond milk and whisk to combine.
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients to the wet until a stiff batter forms.
- Fold in the blueberries until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into each liner until almost full.
- Bake for 15 mins or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 mins before removing from the tin and serving.