Bacon wrapped dates
Bacon-wrapped dates – the star of any party
Ever been invited to a party or someone’s house for a meal and you offer to bring something, but you don’t know what to bring? Well, look no further than these. Bacon-wrapped dates. Who would have thought that something so salty and (sometimes fatty) as bacon could pair so amazingly with something so sweet and soft as dates? I wasn’t convinced until I tried it.
This came about because often when Grant and I would go for a work dinner (i.e. at someone else’s expense), he and another of my co-workers would look at the appetizer menu and aim for something wrapped in bacon. Because everything tastes better with bacon, right? I haven’t always been a fan of bacon, but this? Well, this just hits all the right taste zones in my system I guess.
And it’s simple. Really simple. Almost too simple to be called a recipe, right? Two ingredients – bacon and dates. Oh, and you probably should invest in some toothpicks as well. But that’s it. Get rid of the pits from the dates, cut bacon rashers in two and wrap around the dates. Pop into the oven for 15 minutes and voila! You’ll be the star of the party. Trust me.
- 4 rashers of bacon
- 8 Medjool dates
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a baking sheet tray with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Remove the pits from the dates by slicing vertically down the date, leaving the majority of it in tact.
- Cut the bacon rashers in half.
- Roll the dates in the bacon rashers and secure with a toothpick.
- Place on baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
- Can be eaten either hot or cold.
- This recipe can be doubled, or tripled, simply by increasing the number of bacon rashers and dates.